Give your pantry and your fridge some attention and throw these out: pastries, crackers, syrups, sugary drinks, fizzy drinks, cheese, milk, mayonnaise, potato chips and anything packaged. No special detox products are needed. You can start where you are right now! Cleanse your system using the power of whole foods. Here is an easy to follow body detox action plan:
- Drink water: Weight loss success can be as simple as being hydrated. When you are not properly hydrated you are slowing down your metabolism. Therefore, your body is not burning fat at an accelerated rate. Here’s the bottom line: if you want to speed up your metabolism and lose fat faster, drink water! (See our recipe for Raspberry Lime Water!)
- Move it to lose it: Cardiovascular exercise and weight lifting are two of the best forms of exercise if you want to see results quickly. These two forms of exercise are great for burning calories and shaping your figure. It is recommended that healthy adults participate in 150 minutes of moderate physical activity per week. If you are pressed for time and only have 10 to 15 minutes to devote to exercise, check out high intensity interval training, often referred to as HIIT training. It will maximize your time and your efforts.
- Eat nature’s vitamins and minerals: These can be found in fruits and vegetables. Aim for at least 9 servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Get outside whenever possibleL Breathe deeply. Walking meditation can do wonders for your mood and actually help in the detoxification process. Take every opportunity to appreciate the scenery around you.
- Write down a few performance goals: Here are some examples to get you started but find ones that you personally need to put into practice. I will jog for 30 minutes 5 days per week. I will have a raw lunch 5 days per week. I will have vegetables at every meal.
Commit to yourself if you want to look better, feel better and perform better. This is your season and your year!
By: Chrisie Allemand, RD, LD/N