By Crissie Mergogey
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Mango Cabbage Slaw
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup thin sliced mango
- 1/3 cup diced spinach or kale
- Trim the leaves and the bottom of the stem from the cauliflower. Make sure to keep the core intact.
- Cut the cauliflower in half, from the top, down. Slice the halves into 1-inch slices. Save the excess florets for another meal.
- Pulse the almonds in a blender or food processor until the texture is similar to breadcrumbs. Mix in the panko breadcrumbs and pour onto a plate.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, milk, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Dip the cauliflower slices into the batter and coat completely.
- After dipping in the batter, coat the cauliflower with the almond and breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the cauliflower on a lined or oiled baking sheet. Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Prepare the Mango Cabbage Slaw. Mix the milk, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add the cabbage, mango and spinach to the bowl and mix until well coated.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven, let sit 5 minutes, then serve with the Mango Cabbage slaw.
Note: You can use chicken or salmon instead of cauliflower, if desired.
Makes 2-3 cauliflower steaks, Time: 1 hour