Makes 1 10-inch quiche, serves 3-4
• 1 12-oz. ready made sheet of shortcrust pastry
• 4.7 oz. chickpea flour (gram flour)
• 15.2 fl. oz. non-dairy milk
• ¼ cup nutritional yeast
• 2 tsp. vegetable stock powder
• Florets of one small head of broccoli
• ¼ cup peas
• 3-4 green asparagus, sliced in half lengthwise
• Sea salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease a 10-inch loose bottomed, fluted tart tin. Gently line the tin with the pastry, easing into the base & trimming off any excess from the outer edge.
3. Lightly prick the base with a fork and line the pastry case with foil, shiny side down. Fill with baking beads or dry beans and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
4. Carefully remove foil and beans and bake for a further 4-5 minutes until the pastry is pale golden. Remove and set side at room temperature.
5. To prepare the filling, in a food processor combine the flour, non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, stock powder and a generous grind of sea salt and black pepper. Process this mixture to create a smooth batter.
6. Place the broccoli and peas in a large mixing bowl and pour over about two thirds of the flour batter. Stir well to combine, and pour the mixture into the pastry case.
7. Use the remaining third of the batter to top up the quiche (you may not need all of it).
8. Arrange the asparagus slices on the top and scatter over the vegan cheese.
9. Bake the quiche for 20-25 minutes or until golden and softly set. When cooked, remove from the oven and lest rest at room temperature for 4-5 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of KaleKitchen, a whole-food, plant-based recipe app.