By Patricia Danflous
Five thousand years ago, healers in India introduced the doshas, the three energies directing the body’s activity. It was the birth of Ayurveda, the life science based on the belief that wellness and health are derived from balancing the mind, body and spirit. The holistic Ayurvedic lifestyle focuses on maintaining wellness and harmony and preventing illness through exercise, diet, lifestyle, and cleansing. According to Ayurvedic principles, individuals who live an enjoyable, harmonious life are healthier and stronger.
Ayurveda uses supplemental herbs, such as garlic, turmeric, boselia, ginger and dandelion*, to protect the body from illness, improve overall health and alleviate pain. Diet, aromatherapy, massage, music therapy, meditation, and yoga are also important Ayurvedic methods to maintain or restore balance.
Incorporating Ayurveda into your lifestyle is not restricted to the purchase of herbs or beauty products. Exploring Ayurveda in complement with traditional medicine opens a pathway to a more harmonious, healthier life.
* The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not review or approve Ayurveda products that can be unsafe, especially to children. Be sure to check with your holistic practitioner or primary care physician when adding herbal supplements to your diet.
Here are a few guidelines to help you learn more about living in balance:
- Develop a morning ritual centering on a sense of peace and gratitude.
- Make time to be quiet. Create a moment of silence during the day to calm your mind. While silent, breathe deeply, allowing oxygen to flow through and energize your body.
- Follow a diet of healthy fats and natural sugars. Good choices are quality olive oils, omega-3 fish oil, nuts, chia, flaxseeds, coconut, nuts, raw honey, figs, and dates.
- In the evening, drink a glass of warm milk, with a splash of nutmeg, for relaxation and a good night’s rest.
- Try a foot or scalp massage to relax before bedtime.
- Discover aromatherapy with essential oils such as jasmine rose, and vanilla for relaxation. Basil, mint and ginger oils help to restore energy.
- Go to bed at the same time every night.