By Amber Marie Arevalos
In these cold months, a warm hearty dish is all the family needs after a long day at school or work. As a busy mom, it is always nice to be able to serve a meal all out of one pot. This meal will provide comfort and nutrition. Vitamins C and D can be found in this recipe along with plenty of protein. You’ll also get a ton of B vitamins by indulging in this guiltless dish!
All three peppers not only make the dish look beautiful, but pack a bunch of nutritional value. The bell peppers provide over 200 miligrams of vitamin C, which is two times the daily amount required for healthy daily function. Over 75 percent of our vitamin A daily value is met with one bowl of this dish. The peppers only add roughly 41 total calories.
The sausage boasts a whopping 20 grams of protein in just one medium link. Depending on the brand there is around 22 grams of fat in a medium-sized link and only 3.5 grams of carbohydrates.
This is a classic dish that will be a frequent request. My picky eaters can’t get enough of it! Each bowl leaves them wanting more!
- 1 1/4 c. Jasmin rice
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1(12 ounce) package smoked a turkey sausage
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small white onion, quartered and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/4 c. Vegetable broth, divided
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan, cook rice according to the package’s directions.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add the oil. Once oil is hot, add the sausage and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the peppers and onion, saute’ until onions are translucent. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside with the sausage.
- To the skillet, add the tomato paste and about 3/4 cup of vegetable broth, whisk to combine. Allow the mixture to simmer for 1 minute, then add the paprika and cayenne.
- Stir in the cooked rice, sausage, remaining vegetable broth, pepper and onions until combined. Serve hot.