By Suzanne Polk Fox
It usually happens right when you are planning a big event for the weekend. You wake up to what feels like a volcano ready to erupt on your face. We all sympathized with Toula Portokalos in “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” when she woke up on her wedding day with a crater the size of her chin. However bad as it may be, we will not be using Windex as our go-to all natural acne treatment, but we do have some other household products that you are already familiar with and probably have on hand.
Essential Oil Lotion
- If you have a diffuser, you probably have Lavender and Tea Tree Oil.
- An aloe vera plant is usually found in every home for the treatment of burns, so its no wonder that it helps with blemishes on your face.
- Make a gel with a few drops of Tea Tree or Lavender Oil added to 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel directly from your plant. Use a Q-tip to apply to blemishes.
- Tea Tree and Lavender Oils are both anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial. Aloe vera is also anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial and also reduces discomfort and speeds healing. Tea tree oil has been proven as effective as benzoyl peroxide.
Apple Cider Vinegar Wash
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Mix in a bowl and use a fresh cotton swab to apply to each blemish
- Vinegar contains acetic acid which is an antiseptic and helps regulate skin acidity. Be sure to dilute vinegar before applying to skin as it may cause irritation.
- Slice away the sides of the pineapple, separating the fruit from the rind. Set the fruit aside in a bowl. Rub the inside of the rind on your face. Mash a single slice of pineapple and rub it onto your face. Let the juices work for about 15 minutes – while you enjoy eating the rest of the fruit.
- Wash your face with warm water and pat dry.
- Pineapple contains an anti-inflammatory enzyme called bromeliad along with citric acid, which gently exfoliates the skin, unblock pores, and dry excess skin oil.
Other all natural remedies
- Bitter Greens Salad
- Herbal Steam Bag
- Yogurt Honey Mask
- Calendula Soap
Acne starts when the pores in your skin get clogged with oil and dead skin cells.