By Nellie Palmer
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (8.75 oz) cans white shoepeg corn (or one frozen package of Pictsweet corn, or 16 oz fresh corn off the cob)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 (28 oz) can stewed Marzano tomatoes
- 8 oz of cooked and diced Turkey Tasso (any type of
spicy ham or sausage will work here)
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Add cooked tasso, chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add stock, beans, corn, and pepper; bring to boil.
Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, puree tomatoes leaving chunks of tomato, add to pot. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until tasso is tender.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and enjoy!