During the fall, there are many vegetables that are just coming into season. This soup is truly a seasonal feast with a variety of vegetables, perfectly blended with beef shank to make it a hearty soup.
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 pounds beef shank, bone in, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 cups Swiss chard, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 medium red onion, cut in quarters
- 1 cup carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slice
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup peas*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- In a large pot on medium high heat, pour in the beef broth and bring to a boil. Then, add the beef and bones, Swiss chard, and bay leaves. Cook for 10 minutes and lower to medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, peas, and salt. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
*If using frozen peas, add at the very end.
Per Serving: Kcal 399, Protein 45g, Carb 27g, Fat 12g, Sodium 146lmg, Dietary Fiber 6g,
Daily Values: Fiber 20%, Vitamin C 34%, Vitamin A 53%, Vitamin D .5%, Potassium 325%, Calcium 7%, Iron 40%
Servings: 6, Serving Size: 2 cups
Cooking with beef bone not only adds more flavor, but it also enriches the soup with minerals and collagen, both of which support the immune system. Studies show that gelatin is beneficial to restoring gut strength by promoting the growth of probiotics.