By Nellie Palmer
A parfait is a semi-frozen French dessert consisting of ice cream layered between berries and sometimes granola. Our healthier version of the parfait has Greek yogurt instead of ice cream. Done correctly, if you freeze this parfait, you may have a hard time telling the difference. This parfait also substitutes the granola for gelatin for a patriotic picnic theme.
- One box of flavored sugar free gelatin
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons honey or 2 tablespoons Madagascar vanilla
- Berries – the freshest berries you can find. It doesn’t matter if its blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries or all.
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Make the gelatin and divide among your individual containers. If you are taking these to a picnic, use plastic 5-ounce cups. Depending on the size of your container, fill about an inch.
- Place in the refrigerator to set.
- Mix yogurt and honey, one tablespoon at a time. Taste between additions. You don’t want to get it too sweet, so you may require less honey for your taste.
- If you are using vanilla, use only high quality pure Madagascar vanilla. Again, taste after each tablespoon for your desired sweetness.
- You can use both vanilla and honey if you cut each portion in half and taste between additions.
- Once the gelatin is set, remove cups from refrigerator, divide yogurt among the cups and top with berries and mint.