These candied sweet potatoes are perfect for the holidays!
Disclaimer: There is a lot of sugar in this recipe and the potatoes are pretty much candy. Let’s TRY to enjoy this dish in moderation!
- 4 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¹⁄8.ths
- ½ cup of orange juice
- ½ cup of filtered water
- 2 cups of coconut sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise, beans scraped out, and beans placed into the mixture. We will use the vanilla pod as well.
- 1 tsp of orange zest
- 1½ tsp of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of sea salt
- 4 tbsp of bourbon, optional
- 4 tbsp of coconut oil
- In a heavy pot, add all the ingredients. Make sure you also add the vanilla pod as there are a lot of flavorful vanilla seeds in the pod. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 20 minutes or until fork tender. Cover and stir on occasion to ensure the sweet potatoes are cooking properly.
- With a slotted spoon, place the sweet potatoes in a casserole dish.
- Add the bourbon to the sauce and cook to reduce into a syrup-y texture. It can take about 15 minutes. You want to make sure the syrup is thick and will coat a sweet potato.
- Very carefully, pour the syrup over the sweet potatoes and bake until browned for about 10-15 minutes.
Time: 1 ½ hours
Feed Your Soul: My Eclectic Kitchen
In this easy to use app, wellness chef, Yvonne Ardestani shares her collection of deliciously healthy recipes. Yvonne helps you artfully convert not-so-healthy recipes into vegan and gluten-free recipes using techniques she learned in culinary school and in professional restaurants.
Yvonne is a classically trained French chef, former restaurant cook under Chefs Suzanne Goin and Breanne Varela, and now a passionate wellness chef. Yvonne is dedicated to promoting healthy living, helping the environment, and protecting animals from cruelty.