By: Amber Marie Arevalos
There is nothing like a dinner made simple and healthy!
This burrito bowl is packed with complete nutritional balance. It has a combination of vegetables, grains and protein. It’s as easy as throwing everything into a bowl and enjoying it on its own.
Chicken breasts are one of the best protein options on the market. They are lean and loaded with protein. One serving of a chicken breast has around 28 grams of protein with only two grams of fat. The number of amino acids found in a chicken breast are abundant and support overall bone health. They are also the building blocks of muscle tissue. Consuming chicken breast may help reduce osteoporosis and decrease the chances of heart disease. Not only does chicken provide lean protein, but it also contains high levels of zinc, iron, copper and most importantly vitamin B12.
The addition of black beans in this recipe adds additional benefits. They contain high amounts of fiber, protein and antioxidants.
These are only some of the benefits this recipe provides. From the guacamole to the beans, chicken and the corn; all the ingredients play a role in the flavors and nutritional values. Not only is it delicious, it is filling and it can be dressed up however you like! The combinations are endless and the whole family can make their bowl unique and to their liking!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice, cooked
- 1 cup corn fresh or canned, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup guacamole
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- In a large zip lock bag, pour in the lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, garlic and spices. Add the chicken, sliced bell peppers and combine until they are coated. Place in the fridge and marinate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat heavy-duty pan to medium-high heat and lightly oil it. Add the chicken and bell peppers to the pan. Cook chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from heat and cover.
- In a medium serving bowl add about 1/2 cup of cooked rice. Top with chopped cilantro, grilled chicken, cooked bell peppers, beans, corn, sour cream, guacamole and salsa.
- Serve with tortilla chips if desired.