By Amber Marie Arevalos
During the warmer months, it’s always nice to have something refreshing and flavorful. This corn salsa is perfect for that. It combines healthy ingredients to create one unique salsa. You can top almost any dish from salads to tacos and it will complement the meal. This is also great as a standalone appetizer. Your guests will love this recipe and the health benefits it can provide.
Corn is known for its sweet flavors. It’s packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. It contains essential minerals like zinc, magnesium, copper and iron in a valuable amount. In a three and a half serving size, corn can provide over three grams of protein, two grams of fiber and only carry 96 calories.
Bell peppers and tomatoes are a great combination in this salsa. Out of all the peppers, red bell peppers provide the highest concentration of vitamin C. They also contain vitamin A and potassium with a good source of fiber. Tomatoes also contain a large amount of vitamin C and antioxidants, such as lycopene, which is a leading source to aiding in heart health and reducing the risk of certain cancers. Not to mention they contain potassium, folate and vitamin K.
All the ingredients in this recipe provide so much nutritional value. The garlic in the recipe has been linked to reducing blood pressure and the risk of heart disease; not to mention its anti-microbial properties. Jalapeños also play a role in nutrition. They pack a good amount of vitamin A, vitamin C and have the ability to help fight off free radical damage. Lastly, don’t underestimate cilantro. It has detoxifying properties, can reduce oxidative stress, aid in digestion as well as many other great health benefits. This recipe provides plenty of benefits with no empty calories. It is refreshing, flavorful and your guests will be asking for the recipe!
- 3 cups corn fresh or canned, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp of cilantro, chopped
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large lime, juiced
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Add corn kernels into a medium pot and cover with water. Season with sea salt and pepper, cook and cover over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes.Remove and drain corn kernels and allow to cool.
- Once cooled place them into a bowl.
- Add in diced bell pepper, tomatoes, chives, cilantro, jalapeño and garlic.
- Add the lime juice.
- Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Combine and mix all ingredients well.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend together. Enjoy!
Calories 260 kcal
Protein: 6.7 g
Fat: 4.76 g
Carbohydrates: 50.66 g