By Christian Dischler
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
Cook sugar in heavy saucepan until it begins to melt. Keep stirring until it becomes a smooth caramel. Add orange juice and vinegar slowly with caution, as mixture may bubble and sugar may harden. Cook on medium heat, stirring for several minutes until caramel is dissolved in mixture. Add herbs for final minutes of cooking then set aside. Before serving, warm sauce if necessary and remove herbs.
- 1 whole duck (5-6 lbs)
- Coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 2 oranges, sliced and seeded
- 8 cloves peeled garlic
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup water or stock
- Preheat oven to 475. Rinse duck in cold water and pat dry. Using kitchen shears, trim excess fat off bird near base of neck and rear cavity. Clip wing tips off and set aside with neck bone. Prick duck skin with sharp fork all over, being careful not to make an incision into the meat. Paint duck with orange liqueur. Rest for 10 minutes. Season inside and outside of duck with salt and pepper.
- Place rack in roasting pan. Place half of vegetables and herbs, neck bone, wing tips and one sliced orange at base of pan. Pour ½ c water or stock into pan. Place whole duck breast side up on roasting rack. Fill cavity with remaining vegetables, herbs and orange slices. Score breast fat in crosshatch pattern without cutting into flesh. Place on middle oven rack and cook 30 minutes.
- Remove entire pan from oven. Place in safe spot. Tilt duck to drain juice from cavity into pan. Remove rack with duck and place over sink or towel to catch drippings. Skim fat off roasting pan liquid with spoon or baster (save fat in container for later use if desired). Place rack with duck back on pan. Lower temperature to 350 and place duck back in oven.
- Cook duck until thermometer placed in thick part of thigh reaches 165. Remove duck and repeat skimming process. Set oven to high broil and place duck under broiler for 3-5 minutes while checking frequently. Remove duck and let rest for at least 10 minutes. Skin should be golden and crispy.
- Carve duck and serve with orange glaze and chopped fresh rosemary.
- Optional: Reduce 1/2 cup red wine in separate saucepan then strain pan drippings into saucepan. Reduce until thick for a quick sauce au jus.
*Chicken can be substituted in recipe by skipping fat scoring step.