By Amber Marie Arevalos
When the weather starts changing and the sweaters start to come out, my kitchen turns into a comfort zone. Our bodies naturally crave warm, wholesome foods when the lower temperatures arrive. Nothing says comfy, cozy, wholesome food to me like a freshly baked chicken enchilada casserole. I spent numerous hours with my grandmother teaching me how to prepare enchiladas and the time and patience it takes dealing with every step of the process. She would take the corn tortilla, lightly fry it, stuff it with all its goodness and place it into the prepared baking dish one by one creating this meal for a family of 6, which included 3 growing athletes. It could take hours to prepare this dish, but as a working mom with a busy schedule it seems merely impossible to take the time to do this on a weekday. So, with some inspiration from my aunt, we created a simple, easy way to throw this comfort food together with love and flavor!
- 4 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 (28 oz) green chile enchilada sauce, Las Palmas
- 12 oz Monterey Jack Cheese
- 10 flour tortillas
- 3 springs cilantro chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- ½ cup chopped olives (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 F degrees.
- Pour half of the sauce into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Place tortillas to cover the bottom of the casserole dish, but not completely overlapping.
- Layering: top tortillas with chicken, cheese than sauce. Put enough sauce to cover the whole tortilla.
- Repeat until all the chicken is used, ending with just tortilla on top.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the tortillas, than sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the top. Top with the optional olives.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Top with chopped cilantro, green onions and sour cream before serving.
Serving: enchilada | Calories: 316kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 871mg | Potassium: 228mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 16% | Vitamin C: 4.7%| Calcium: 31.5% | Iron: 9.5%