By Michelle Fouchi Esneault
Used by the Persians since 1900 BC, sugar waxing, or “sugaring” offers a simple and safe way to get your skin smooth and hair-free naturally. Unlike harsh, chemical-based traditional waxing products that can cause inflammation, redness and irritation, there are no side effects to sugar waxing and you probably already have everything you need in your kitchen.
The all-natural ingredients cost pennies, it is easy to clean up with warm water, it’s earth-friendly and it’s less painful and irritating because it sticks to your hair and not your skin making it perfect for sensitive skin.
Sugar wax is made with three simple ingredients:
- 1 cup granulated white or brown sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup warm water
1) Add sugar to a heavy bottomed, medium-sized pot. Then, add the lemon juice and water, stirring to combine. Bring to a light boil stirring frequently.
2) Reduce heat to medium until the mixture comes to a simmer. Continue to stir until the sugar is completely dissolved, making sure it doesn’t boil over.
3) Pull it off the heat as soon as it turns a light honey color or 260 degrees Fahrenheit which is the hardball stage on a candy thermometer. It will continue to darken as it cools and change to a thick, honey consistency.
Whatever you do, don’t burn it! Burnt sugar will harden when it cools and be unusable. If it burns, start over. Warning! Hot sugar will burn. Handle carefully and do not use until barely warm or room temperature.
4) Once cooled, knead the mixture by the handful until completely smooth. If it’s too runny, cook for another two to four minutes, then try again.
5) Place the cooled mixture into a bowl then scoop up a small amount with your fingers and roll into a ball with your hands. Apply to your skin in a small strip, about ¼ inch thick and a few inches in length, with either your fingers or a wooden popsicle stick in the opposite direction of hair growth.
6) Remove by grasping the wax and pulling off in a quick movement across your leg, towards the direction of hair growth, keeping your skin taut with your other hand. Re-roll the wax and use again until no longer sticky. After waxing, rinse area with warm water and apply a natural moisturizer. The treatment lasts up to two weeks.
There are no side effects to sugar waxing