By Amie Valpone, thehealthyapple.com
When I was diagnosed with Lyme disease and my gut became allergic to hundreds of foods, I had to learn how to create amazing flavors with fresh, whole, one-ingredient foods (while removing gluten, dairy, soy, corn and eggs) and that’s what this recipe is all about. Now that I’m healed, I still enjoy the goodness and natural sweetness of eating whole foods and my taste buds crave fresh flavors instead of reaching in a bag for food! These roasted carrots are perfect for an afternoon snack or a side dish with dinner. I often use creamy almond butter in place of tahini when I’m serving this as a snack.
- 8 large carrots, trimmed
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch chili powder, optional
- 1 Tbsp. tahini
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley, plus more if needed
- 2 Tbsp. hemp hearts
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place carrots on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with avocado oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper; toss to coat the carrots. Add chili powder if desired and toss to coat again.
2. Roast carrots in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until very tender and golden brown. Remove baking sheet from the oven and set aside to cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle the carrots with tahini and sprinkle with fresh parsley and hemp hearts. Serve immediately.
Mix the tahini before using to make sure it’s thinned out for drizzling.