By Nellie Palmer
A healthier low carb sugar free carrot cake cupcake recipe with fluffy cream cheese frosting.
- 4 tbsp softened butter
- 1/3 cup Truvia
- 1 tbsp maple extract
- 1/2 tsp Madagascar vanilla
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp whey protein powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 ounces finely grated carrot (about 1 medium)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces butter softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks
- 1/3 cup Swerve confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp Madagascar vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place the rack to the lower third of the oven. Line 9 cupcake pan with liners. Measure dry ingredients into a small bowl and whisk to break up any lumps. Finely grate the carrot.
- Method: In a stand mixer, blend softened butter, Truvia, maple and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg and beat again until the mixture is thick, light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and add 1/3 to mixer and blend until well incorporated. Add another egg and mix until the batter is light and fluffy. Continue alternating the dry and wet ingredients, scraping the bowl after the dry additions and keeping the texture nice and light. Add the carrot and heavy cream at the very end. Mix well (The batter should be thick but easy to work with. If it’s not, add 1-2 more tbsps of heavy cream, but work quickly.)
- Immediately spoon the batter into the cupcake liners before it thickens up. Place into the oven and turn the oven to 400ºF and bake for 5 minutes to get the batter rising. Turn the oven back to 350 and bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are firm when lightly pressed with a finger, but still moist. Remove and let cool completely before frosting.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Whip the butter and cream cheese together with the vanilla and sweetener until it is very stiff. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture 1/3 at a time. Frost the cupcakes and refrigerate or serve.