Breast cancer is big business, and mammography is one of its primary profit centers. This is why the industry is fighting tooth and nail to keep it, by downplaying its significant risks and completely ignoring the updated guidelines set forth by the U.S.
Preventive Services Task Force in 2009. In the US, women are still urged to get an annual mammogram starting at the age of 40. Unfortunately, many women are completely unaware that the science simply does not backup the use of routine mammograms as a means to prevent breast cancer. When it comes to breast cancer, it’s important to understand that getting regular mammogram screenings is NOT going to prevent anything. In fact, regular screening can do much more harm than help. In July 1995, a Danish study, The Lancet wrote about mammograms. “The benefit is marginal, the harm caused is substantial, and the costs incurred are enormous …” It is the job of the FDA and the cancer industry to keep women stupid, uninformed and scared when it comes to breast cancer. The last thing they want is for women to be nutritionally literate.
Below are a few key points that we would like to share with you, in hopes that you will become more aware of the dangers of mammograms and be INSPIRED to do your research, become more informed and proactive with your health and to protect yourself from the big business of the cancer industry.
- For every 2,000 women receiving mammograms, only ONE would have her life extended at all. TEN women, though, would be harmed with chemotherapy, radiation or mastectomies.
- Mammograms expose your body to ionized radiation that can cause cancer by triggering mutations and other genetic damage as well as cause normal cells to become malignant. The radiation from mammograms can be 1,000 times greater than that from a chest xray and 300 times more carcinogenic than high energy radiation that comes from atomic bomb blasts!
- A newer type of mammogram touted to be much better at detecting breast cancers called tomosynthesis takes a 3D image of the breast. You definitely want to avoid this type of mammogram because it uses three times more radiation than the standard type.
- Mammography also compresses your breasts tightly, and often painfully, damaging the breast tissue which could lead to a lethal spread of cancerous cells, should they exist.
- Dr. Charles B. Simone, a former clinical associate in immunology and pharmacology at the National Cancer Institute, said, “Mammograms increase the risk for developing breast cancer and raise the risk of spreading or metastasizing an existing growth.”
- Aside from the radiation risks, mammograms carry a firsttime false positive rate of up to 6 percent. False positives can lead to expensive repeat screenings and often results in unnecessary chemotherapy and radiation treatments and surgeries.
- 80% of the 1.6 million breast biopsies done each year in the United States, because of a suspicious mammography, are negative.
- The problem with mammograms is that they often detect “cancer” that would never spread or do any harm if left untreated. It’s called “stage zero” cancer. It can be regressed by simple lifestyle changes and without any medical treatment.
- The New England Journal of Medicine has pointed to approximately 1.3 million cases of misdiagnosed breast cancer, which shows that mammograms are leading millions of women astray, making them think they have cancer when they really don’t.
- Just thinking you may have breast cancer, when you really do not, focuses your mind on fear and disease, and is actually enough to trigger an illness in your body . So a false positive on a mammogram, or an unnecessary biopsy, can really be damaging.