- 1 cup of Inca Red Quinoa
- 3 cups of broth
- 1 cup of diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup of diced red onions
- 1 cup of diced baby bok choy
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- Place Inca Red Quinoa and bay leaf into a deep pan with broth and bring to a boil. Turn to medium low, cover, and cook quinoa to desired tenderness. It is necessary to rinse quinoa several times in a sifting strainer to get it thoroughly clean prior to cooking.
- Dice zucchini, onions and baby bok choy and place in bowl and mix.
- Stir fry vegetables in pan using olive oil.
- Remove bay leaf from quinoa after cooking.
- Mix vegetables into quinoa and serve.
Kim’s note: Water can be substituted for broth if desired. To increase protein intake on this dish, try adding sliced tofu.
The Dish on Quinoa
Quinoa, dating back thousands of years, is an ancient Incan seed. This protein-packed super food is regarded as one of the best sources of protein available. Referred to as the “Super grain of the Future” by the Quinoa Corporation, quinoa contains 9 essential amino acids. It’s an excellent source of complex carbohydrates and has the added benefit of high levels of fiber. Quinoa is a great option for vegetarians, vegans, or anyone looking for a healthy protein source. It can be eaten alone or prepared with other ingredients to create a tasty meal.
By Kim Miller & Shannon Dougherty from Fit Mom Diet